Info: This article will cover what happens now that your application has been submitted to the team for review.
In the Application Assessment phase the team will:
- check that the metadata from the data.wa.gov.au data catalogue has been pulled across
- check that the information provided is complete and matches what is in your application
- assign a new dataset identifier for your dataset and update the title of the dataset with its new identifier in both DUT and data.wa.gov.au’s data catalogue. Refer to the Dataset identifiers explained article for further guidance
- check that the attribute information and views are complete,
- check that the symbology information is in order.
If more information is needed, you will be contacted to clarify any issues before the application is approved.
How long will this take?
Time: For the average dataset, the review and approval process could take up to five (5) working days.
Tip: If you have a pressing business need to get the data released, please get in touch to discuss expediting approval and publishing your dataset.
Checking the status of an application
Info: When your application is approved and ready to proceed to the next phase - Data Assessment and Preview, you’ll receive an email notification that the dataset has been approved.
Help: You can see the status of your application at any time. Check the “Add New, Change and Retire Dataset Requests” section of your DUT console or view the Activity Log tab for the dataset.
Rejected Application (Cancel and Return to Draft)
Info: If your application is incomplete or missing some information it can be rejected and returned to the Draft state for you to update further.
Help: You can view the reject reason and comments in the application Activity tab.
Tip: If you spot any of these issues on your application, please contact the team and let them know straight away.
Here are some common issues that occur during the application review process.
- No record in the data.wa.gov.au data catalogue. All data published through DUT must have a matching entry in our data catalogue. If you haven’t provided one yet, the dataset can’t be approved and published. Please refer to the second article in this series, Creating your DataWA metadata record.
- Mismatch between your DUT dataset title and the data catalogue dataset title. Your dataset’s title is the key that is used to automatically connect the data snapshots and services published through DUT with the data catalogue.
- Forgetting to finalise and submit your dataset application. Once you’ve completed the process of registering your dataset in DUT, you need to click the “Submit Application" button on the Review tab in DUT. Until this is done, the application will remain in edit mode and won’t be submitted to the team for review.
Feedback: If you pick up any issue or if there is something you’d like to change once the application is submitted (e.g. wrong data is attached), please let us know immediately.
Data Assessment and Preview
Info: As soon as your dataset application is approved it will move into the Data Assessment and Preview phase, you will then have the ability to upload data into the dataset application.
From this point onwards, any data uploaded will go through our data ingest process (which includes a range of data validation and processing checks). If successful, the data will be loaded into your slice of the data store.
Reference: The article, Managing data loads, goes into detail about how this process works and how to manage it.
While you’re waiting - Preparing for scheduling data updates
While you’re waiting for the dataset application to be approved, you can begin preparing for the next step in the publishing process.
There are some technical decisions that you need to make regarding how to keep your data up-to-date. Depending on how you choose to proceed, some lead time could be needed to involve your IT or applications teams to set up and configure the required tools.
Reference: Read the Scheduling data updates article for detailed guidance about keeping your data updated.