Info: In this article we’ll touch briefly on what happens now that your dataset has been published and made available on data.wa.gov.au.
Help: If you encounter problems with your data, have issues reported by users or have need help updating your data, please get in touch.
Managing changes to your data
Datasets usually change over time. For the purposes of the Data Upload Tool there are four distinct changes that all datasets may go through.
- Content changes. Adding, modifying, or removing individual records.
- Structure changes. When the data schema changes by adding, renaming, or removing attributes or columns within the data.
- Minor changes. This change is usually the dataset name or styling. These changes can also be triggered by Machinery of Government.
- This can happen for a range of reasons. For example, two datasets merging into one, or the dataset is no longer maintained.
Each of these changes have provisions in data.wa.gov.au and the Data Upload Tool.
Changes to the contents of your data
Content changes are covered comprehensively in the Scheduling data updates article. As your data changes over time, it’s important to keep it updated in data.wa.gov.au. In most cases where data is changing frequently, it pays to schedule and automate the updates rather than relying on someone doing them by hand.
If you have scheduled updates in place, you will be informed if problems in refreshing your data are encountered.
However, it would also pay to periodically check that the scheduled updates are:
- extracting the right data,
- that the data is being uploaded and correctly refreshed in data.wa.gov.au.
Important: This sort of change does not require you to lodge a change for your dataset in DUT. You need to upload a new copy of your data in the same format and with the same structure as the one you registered with us.
Changing the structure of your data
Structural changes that involve changing the data schema require you to lodge a change to the dataset in DUT. This is a significant change and one that could potentially break an application. It will need to be scheduled and communicated subject to the 5 to 10 working day change period.
Important: Currently, once you lodge a change, your dataset is locked. This means that you can’t make any changes to it in DUT. Any updates you upload to DUT (either manually or through scheduled update processes) will not be applied. In effect, your data is frozen during the change period.
Feedback: If this could cause an issue, please get in touch to discuss alternative approaches. There are solutions that can allow you to update your data while a change is lodged.
Note: We are currently reviewing this workflow to enable data to be updated while changes are being assessed and applied.
Cosmetic changes to your data include all other change types that aren’t structural (schema changes or content changes). For example, changing the name of a dataset, its symbology, permissions, etc. All of these changes need to be lodged in DUT as a formal change.
Most changes to your metadata record in the data.wa.gov.au data catalogue don’t need a change process at all. You can simply make them yourself as required.
Important: If you need to change the name of your dataset, it’s important that the name change happens at the same time in both DUT and the data.wa.gov.au data catalogue. If you change the name in the data catalogue before the change publishes through DUT it will break the links to your data services. The team will take care of coordinating this for you as part of the change processes once you’ve lodged a change in DUT.
Lodging a change to your data
The different types of changes that require you to lodge a change to your dataset in DUT have been discussed. The process should already be familiar from when you registered a dataset in DUT. However, if you need help please get in touch.
To lodge a dataset change in DUT:
- Navigate to the dataset in DUT. This can be done either on your DUT console that lists all of your datasets, or by clicking through to the dataset. Click the “Change” button.
- A change request application will open, which is an exact copy of the form you originally used to register your dataset. You will see both the current active form and an editable form, side-by-side:
- Work through each tab and make your changes.
- Once you’re done, navigate to the “Review” tab and click the “Submit Application” button.
Info: The change will now go through a similar process to the one when you originally registered your dataset. It will be reviewed, approved, and a date to make the change will be scheduled.
You’ll receive three notifications as your change works through this process:
- The first will confirm that the application has been submitted.
- A second when the application is reviewed and approved. This notification will also detail the date when the change will be taking place.
- The third notification will be sent once the change has been successfully published.
Important: If you lodge a structural data change (e.g. changing the schema by adding or removing attributes), you need to upload a new version of the dataset to DUT, including the structural changes.